Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New GolfWRX Column: 23 Golfers That Can Win the Masters

[image]

As the world’s most popular golf tournament plays this week, I wanted to give a rundown of the Masters from a statistical perspective.

First, I want to discuss what I call the “Critical Holes” in a golf tournament. These are holes that based on tournament history are where the top finishers have gained the most strokes versus the field. For Augusta, they are Nos. 7, 12, 15, 17 and 18. So as you are tracking the tournament, I would key in on these particular holes as they have the largest influence on a golfer’s success at Augusta.

The neat thing about the Masters is it is a limited field, and we can immediately eliminate about one fifth of the field as not having a realistic chance of winning the tournament. I would put these as most of the past champions and the amateurs.

Read More: http://www.golfwrx.com/82203/the-23-golfers-who-can-win-the-masters/

1 comment:

x said...

Thanks for the piece Richie.

Don't agree with everything - i.e. in my view, KJ Choi is a low ball hitter (and a dodgy short putter).

But a good read.