Thursday, March 29, 2018

Width in the DOWNSWING by Chris Ryan

I liked this video by Chris Ryan and it has helped me quite a bit recently, including shooting a 65 (-7 under) at Victoria Hills this past Saturday.



When most people discuss 'width' in the golf swing, they inevitably discuss it with regards to the backswing.

Part of what has helped me recently is this video from Athletic Motion Golf:


It's not that I was consciously trying to make my downswing narrower.  But, I wasn't aware of what was happening (right arm was folding and causing the right shoulder to go into Internal Rotation instead of the preferred External Rotation).

Now I work on the left hip rotation, chest rotation while *feeling* like I'm straightening my right arm in transition...all before I get to P5.


By the time I get to P5...between the rotation of the lower body and chest and the straightening of my right arm, the right shoulder will go into external rotation with the left wrist going into flexion.  If I am able to do that by P5, I'm in good position to hit a nice shot.  If I'm late then bad things can happen.







3JACK

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I cannot understand the rationale for straightening the right arm between P4 and P5. Why should one try to straighten the right arm so soon? I think that keeping the right elbow fully bent to P5.5 or even P6 (using a pitch elbow motion where one drives the right elbow to its pitch location in front of the right hip area) has the advantage that it makes it easier to maintain lag for longer and it also has the advantage of allowing a golfer to more efficiently shallow the clubshaft to either the elbow plane, or the hand plane, by P5.5 (if the right palm is always held parallel to the undersurface of the shallowing swingplane as the clubshaft shallows from the TSP at P4 to a shallower plane by P5.5).

Jeff.

lummot said...

thank you so much for sharing such great information.top golf gearswill bring you more suggestions golf drivers top golf gears

Syco said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Golf stance tips